Road Closures and Parking Restrictions
This page is aimed at helping keep the UChicago community and visitors informed of events, construction, and other activities that may affect traffic and parking in the campus area. We will update this page as new information becomes available.
Department of Water Management Work at 57th and Maryland
As part of the enabling work for the Cancer Center and the vacation of Maryland Avenue, the Department of Water Management will be relocating a water main this week between Wednesday, November 16 and Monday, November 21. The work will impact 57th Street from Cottage Grove to Maryland Avenue and the campus community can expect the following impacts:
- 57th Street will be closed to westbound traffic at Cottage Grove. CDOT is proposing westbound thru traffic be routed south on Woodlawn Avenue to the Midway Plaisance and then north to Cottage Grove Avenue.
- One lane of eastbound traffic will be maintained on 57th Street except for an eight-hour full intersection closure.
- Work will also occur in the curb lane on the east side of Cottage Grove at the intersection of 57th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue.
- Vehicles leaving Parking Garage B will exit campus by travelling north to 56th Street, east to Ellis Avenue, and then north to 55th Street.
- Flaggers will be located at 57th and Cottage Grove Avenue and 57th and Maryland Avenue.
- No sidewalk closures are planned.
- Water shutdowns have been coordinated with all impacted buildings.
Updated on November 15.
Jackson Park Transportation Improvements
Beginning November 7, the Chicago Department of Transportation will begin work on the medians within DuSable Lake Shore Drive between 57th Drive and Hayes Drive. The work will last through mid-December and will have the following impacts:
- Northbound DuSable Lake Shore Drive will temporarily be reduced from three lanes to two lanes between 57th Drive and Hayes Drive.
- Turn lane reduction for the Eastbound 57th Drive to northbound DuSable Lake Shore Drive will temporarily be reduced from three left turn lanes to two left turn lanes.
- Temporary lane shifts on Southbound DuSable Lake Shore Drive just north of 57th Drive.
- Work will continue on Stony Island Avenue and Hayes Drive in the current configurations.
Updated on November 6.