The lobby at the UCPD headquarters can be used as a Safe Zone where anyone buying or purchasing items online or through social media channels can pay for the goods in a safe location. The lobby can also be used for custodial exchanges that comply with a court-issued custody agreement.
Keep in mind the following guidelines if you plan to use the UCPD headquarters lobby as part of the Safe Zone service:
- The UCPD headquarters lobby, located at 850 East 61st Street, can be used between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m., but the Emergency Communications Center (773.702.8181) must be called after 5 p.m. to enter into the building
- Safe Zone is free
- Safe Zone is available to all University and community members
- No appointment is necessary
- The following items are prohibited from being exchanged: any type of weapons or drugs
- The following items are not allowed in the building: vehicles, large items, liquid or gas-fueled machines, other hazardous materials, or other items that are illegal to possess
UCPD personnel will not be physically present to verify, interfere with, or have a role in any of the exchanges taking place through Safe Zone. However, the interior and exterior areas of the facility will be monitored for any suspicious activity using security cameras.