Main Quadrangle Pedestrian Zone
The Main Quadrangle Pedestrian Zone is bounded to the north by 57th Street, to the west by Ellis Avenue, to the south by 59th Street, and to the east by University Avenue. For pedestrian safety, vehicular access is expressly prohibited from 7:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. No vehicles, moving or parked, will be allowed within the Main Quadrangle Pedestrian Zone from 7:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. Access permits are generally issued for construction material drop off before 7:30 a.m. Catering vendors are encouraged to wheel supplies to their destination on the Main Quad perimeter. All other Main Quad access requests that do not specifically pertain to construction or repair work will be carefully reviewed and considered on a case-by-case basis.
The following services will not require an exception permit to access the Main Quad (Emergency work is defined as any situation that will result in a threat to life, safety, health, facilities, or utilities if not responded to immediately. A maintenance emergency is also defined as any situation that will result in the cancellation of classes or events if not responded to immediately):
- Emergency vehicles
- Maintenance vehicles performing emergency work
- Snow removal vehicles (only after 7 a.m. as absolutely necessary for pedestrian safety)
- University of Chicago Police Department vehicles
The following types of vehicular-related activity will be allowed by permit, but all vehicle access is permitted only from 6:30 p.m. until 7:30 a.m.:
- Annual campus events organized by the Office of Special Events and the College Programming Office, including convocations, reunions, orientations, and other special University celebrations
- Annual student events under the supervision of ORCSA, which require setup on the Main Quad
Vehicles requiring access into the Main Quadrangle Pedestrian Zone anytime from 6:30 p.m. until 7:30 a.m. must be issued and display an exception permit from Transportation & Parking Services. To request a Main Quadrangle permit, the following is required:
- Fill out the Main Quadrangle Pedestrian Zone Exception Permit Application
- Obtain the necessary departmental signatures and submit the signed application to Transportation & Parking Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Forms must be submitted at least seven business days prior to the date needed
- You will be notified of the decision by email. The email will provide instructions for picking up the permit or reasons for denial with suggestions for alternate access
For all other non-Main Quad permit and parking questions, please contact the Transportation & Parking Office at 773.702.8969.