Many opportunities exist in Hyde Park and Chicago for anyone interested in biking. Chicago has more than 170 miles of on-street protected, buffered, and shared bike lanes. All CTA buses and University Shuttles have bike racks and bikes are allowed on CTA trains during non-peak hours.
Divvy is the city of Chicago's bike share program that launched in the summer of 2013. You can take a bike out from any station and return it to any other station in the city. You need to purchase a 24-hour pass or annual membership and with the pass/membership you have an unlimited number of checkouts. For membership information, visit divvybikes.com.
- Divvy offers a discounted Annual Membership for $83 to UChicago faculty, staff, and students with the discount code bikeUChicago, and a valid University of Chicago email address. For more information click here.
- Click here to join the group membership with Divvy.
Divvy for Everyone (D4E) - Chicago
The Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) aims to offer all Chicagoans an affordable, accessible and fun transportation option. D4E provides a $5 Annual Membership to qualifying residents. The program also incorporates a cash payment system for those Chicagoans who do not have a debit card, credit card, or prepaid card required for a standard Divvy membership. To apply visit https://account.divvybikes.com/membership-discounts.
D4E Program Features
- First year, $5 Annual Membership
- Pay with credit, debit, prepaid card, or cash
- In-person enrollment at Divvy Sign Up Centers
- Option to keep membership through a LISC-supported credit-building program
- No extra charges for riding an Ebike to/from UChicago or anywhere in Zone 2
Campus Bike Rack Locations
Bike racks are located throughout campus. The Campus Bike Rack Map provides a comprehensive list of bike rack locations around campus.