Several Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) buses serve the University of Chicago campus. University students, faculty, and staff, and University of Chicago Medicine staff, ride CTA routes 171 and 172 free upon displaying a valid UChicago ID, University of Chicago Medicine ID, University of Chicago Laboratory Schools ID, or University of Chicago Charter School ID. Students in the College are required to use their CTA Ventra U-Pass card to ride CTA buses and trains. All other riders are required to pay the appropriate CTA fare.
#171 U. of Chicago/Hyde Park: Services Lake Shore Drive/54th Street and the 55th-56th-57th Street Metra station. This route travels to campus on 55th Street and Ellis Avenue and then circles campus. This route operates weekdays from 7:15 a.m. to 6:20 p.m.; weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. After Summer Convocation, a reduced service schedule goes into effect.
#172 U. of Chicago/Kenwood: Services Lake Shore Drive/50th Street and the Hyde Park-53rd Street Metra station. This route travels to campus on Hyde Park Boulevard and Ellis Avenue and then circles around campus. This route operates weekdays from 7:15 a.m. to 6:15 p.m.; weekends from 8:20 a.m. to 6:20 p.m. After Summer Convocation, a reduced service schedule goes into effect.
#192 U. of Chicago Hospitals Express: Provides express service to/from downtown to Harper Court, campus, and the medical center. Southbound service is from 6:30 a.m. to 9 a.m., northbound service is from 3:45 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Other Bus Routes that Travel Near Campus
- #2 Hyde Park Express: operates only during rush periods Monday through Friday
- #6 Jackson Park Express: must transfer to CTA #171 at the intersection of South Hyde Park Boulevard and 53rd Street; Operates daily
- #15 Jeffery Local: Operates daily from 5 a.m. – 1:18 a.m.
- #28 Stony Island: must transfer to CTA #172 at the intersection of East Hyde Park Boulevard (51st Street) and Lake Park Avenue; Operates daily
- #55 Garfield: if traveling on the Green or Red lines use this bus to get to/from campus; Operates daily
For specific bus stops and routes, hours, and wait times for any of these buses, visit transitchicago.com. All CTA buses are ADA accessible and equipped with bike racks.
For information about CTA trains and other area train systems, see the trains near campus webpage.