Students and community members are encouraged to adopt the following street safety tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings and walk with confidence.
- Trust your instincts; if a situation makes you feel uncomfortable get away as quickly as possible.
- Travel in groups of two or more (the buddy system).
- Let a roommate or friend know where you are going and when you will return.
- Be aware of pickpocket situations, such as crowded areas like trains and buses.
- Carry handbags on a short strap and close to the body. Carry wallets in a front pants pocket.
- Avoid wearing headphones and using personal electronic devices.
- Travel in well-lit, populated areas and avoid short cuts.
- When traveling, plan your route in advance and do not carry large amounts of cash.
- Consider using public transportation.
- If a car approaches you and asks for directions, speak with the occupants from a safe distance no matter what.
For more information, read the University of Chicago’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report.
The UCPD has a full time Community Relations Unit available for safety presentations. To request a safety presentation, call 773.702.6008 or email email@example.com.